Samuel Greg, the Mill's founder, gained experience and contacts in the textile trade whilst working for his uncles' merchant-manufacturing business from 1778, inheriting the company 4 years later. He built the Mill as a water powered cotton spinning mill in 1784, continuing to manage its affairs until his death in 1834. The Mill underwent considerable development, with more machinery and waterwheels added, and a steam engine installed. He learnt to appreciate the value in looking after his workforce. He was a speculative businessman who made a considerable fortune from his activities.
Samuel's main business partner was Peter Ewart, who brought technical skill to the firm. He served from 1796 - 1815, although his involvement was purely nominal from 1811. Ewart had been an apprentice with Boulton and Watt, then serving as the company's Northern agent, and was a partner in Samuel Oldknow's Stockport cotton spinning business in 1792 - 93. He oversaw improvements to water power and machinery, and introduced steam power to the Mill in 1810.
Samuel's son, Robert Hyde Greg, continued to expand the Mill and introduced weaving in 1838. He replaced his father as the figurehead of the family enterprise, although this caused him considerable strife from the late 1840's as some of the other mills managed by his brothers began to fail. He retired in 1870 and died 5 years later. Unlike his father, he had outside interests, whether influencing political opinion - he served as an MP for Manchester,
1839 - 41 - or developing his horticultural interests.
Edward Hyde Greg replaced his father as head of the Mill from 1870 - 1900, but was less suited to business life, and enjoyed the privileges which wealth could bring. Under his stewardship, the Mill encountered increasing difficulties as the industry began to be challenged by foreign competition and the British economy suffered a downturn. His main decision was to abandon spinning in favour of weaving in 1894.
His sons, Ernest William and Robert Alexander, were responsible for converting the Mill into a limited company in 1923, and although they retained directorships, their contact with the Mill diminished henceforth. Ernest William's son, Alexander Carlton, finally closed the Mill in 1959, although he had never been actively involved in the industry.
Gregs' managers were largely responsible for the day-to-day running of the Mill, enabling their masters to concentrate upon the broader issues facing the family enterprise and the industry, particularly under Samuel and Robert Hyde's leadership.
View the Mill owners collection to find out more >