Spinning the Web brings together for the first time a unique collection of some 20,000 items from the libraries, museums and archives of North West England which tell the story of the Lancashire Cotton Industry. Spinning the Web invites users to search the collection (see Help to find out how) or to explore these extraordinary times through a series of themes:
- Overview - an account of the period between 1760 to the
- Places - the impact of cotton on villages, towns and cities
- People - living and working in the mills
- Industry - how cotton was made and sold
- Clothing & products - uses of cotton
Also you can Send a postcard from our Leisure section.
Spinning the Web is funded by the New Opportunities Fund and developed by Manchester Library and Information Service in partnership with local museums, libraries and archives. It is one of four textile related projects - see the Consortium Web Page for details.