Lewis Museum of Textile Machinery
Exchange St. Blackburn, BB1 7AJ.
Tel: 01254 667130.
Hours of opening: Tues - Sat, 11 am. - 4 pm.
The Museum was founded in 1938. T.B. Lewis, a local cotton manufacturer, bequeathed various textile machines to the people of Blackburn. The exhibits include an original Kay Fly Shuttle, a replica of Hargreaves' Spinning Jenny, a version of Crompton's Mule and an Arkwright's Water Frame, together with various examples of local textile machinery. Working demonstrations can be arranged by appointment. The museum also exhibits works of art depicting the local area. Archive material is kept at the main Blackburn museum.
Disabled access: Very limited, but all possible help will be given.
|< Back||Next >|